Sunday after church we went to a picnic the Junior League put on through the Children’s Cancer Center of Tampa. We weren’t planning to go because we didn’t want to push Adelaine to hard, but changed our minds at the last minute. Her doctors said that her counts were up and it would be fine to go and do with her. It was a tough call, but anything the Children’s Cancer Center does is worth going to, and Adelaine had a ball!

Yesterday morning, Adelaine woke up with bed head! We actually needed to wet and comb her hair, the things we used to take for granted! It’s still very short but is coming in thick, blond and beautiful. She actually has more hair than Doug now! As long as it continues to grow she’ll have her luscious hair back in no time!

Yesterday proved to be a big day for us, not only did Adelaine start the day off with what was going to potentially be a bad hair day, she also had to go to the clinic for a big day of treatments. Some things mommy can make all better and some things, well some things you just have to face head on, hair or no hair, good hair or not…

Honestly, Adelaine doesn’t care that much about her hair; after all she has a cool do like Daddy and Peyton. I’m sure she wonders what the fuss is about. When your faced with being stuck in the chest with a big needle, who really gives a about hair anyway!

At the clinic Adelaine’s counts were in the 3000’s! However, her hemoglobin is down in the dumps, at 8.6. Friday we will go back and possible have an infusion so she will be able to enjoy the weekend somewhat. Even though she is still taking her antibiotics for the blood infection she had last week, her treatments must press on. She got Vincristine injected into her port and began another round of steroids, along with all the other oral chemo she’s been taking.

Doug and I have worked hard since we got her home from the hospital this last time, to teach her to stay in her bed until the sun comes up. The boys have always has to abide by this and we were desperate for a good nights sleep. The first few nights we were up about five times, and then it got less and less. Two nights in a row she actually slept through the night, which she hadn’t done in seven months. We would smile and say how we just couldn’t wait for the sun to come up so we could snuggle with her, but first we had to get our much needed rest! The next morning she would come in and announce to the world that the sun had indeed risen and climb into our bed expecting lots of hugs and kisses, which we were thrilled to give. We’re hoping that all this progress wasn’t in vain. With the restlessness and hunger pangs that come with taking the steroids, we very well may end up right back where we started.

Overall, Adelaine feels lousy. She complains constantly of something hurting. Sometimes it’s her arms, other times it’s her legs, or her head or her tummy or something else. She asks to be carried through the house a lot because she is too tired to walk. Often when I pick her up she cries that I hurt her. She seems so delicate and fragile these days. Then she has moments of seeming just fine. She can walk and run when she wants to. How she is feeling changes hour to hour. Watching her go through this is helpless and gut- wrenching. We just have to try and put ourselves in her place. If we had to take all the chemo she’s getting I can only imagine how sick we would feel. She is truly an amazing little girl!

Like this post? Subscribe to my RSS feed and get loads more!